Dr. Abhidha Shah is a distinguished Assistant Professor in Neurosurgery at Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital (Mumbai). She holds high levels of expertise in Skull Base Neurosurgery, Vascular Neurosurgery (Open and Endovascular), Cranio vertebral junction disorders.
Dr. Shah possesses a remarkable educational background. A Gold medalist in MCh (Neurosurgery), Dr. Shah posted huge success securing 4th rank in Mumbai University for MS (General Surgery) examinations.
She also has won professional appreciation for her clinical excellence in the form of awards and honours presented to her at a national and global level. Dr. Shah can be credited with a high volume of publications in peer reviewed and indexed national and international journals.
An Associate Editor with Journal of Craniovertebral Junction and Spine, Dr. Shah enjoys rich research experience. She stays in touch with modern medical updates through regular participation in medical conferences.
M.Ch. Neurosurgery, August 2008, University of Mumbai – Gold Medal
M.S. General Surgery, July 2003, University of Mumbai – 4th in University
M.B.B.S. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, October 1997, University of Mumbai
Fellowship in Endovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA
- Assistant Professor, Neurosurgery, Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M Hospital – June 2011 till date
- Tutor, Neurosurgery, Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M Hospital – June 2009 – May 2011
- Chief Resident, Neurosurgery, Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M Hospital – August 2008 – June 2009
- Residency in Neurosurgery, Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M Hospital – August 2005 – July 2008
- Residency in General Surgery, Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences – May 2000 – July 2003
- Rural Service as Medical Officer, Primary Health Center, Kendur – March 1999 – March 2000
- Internship, K.J. Somaiya Hospital and Research Centre – February 1998 – January 1999
Publications / Case Studies
- Shah A, Jankharia B, Goel A. Three-dimensional model printing for surgery on arteriovenous malformations. Neurol India. 2017 Nov. Dec;65(6):1350-1354.
- Shah A, Rai S, Goel A. Corpus callosal lipoma extending as nasal encephalocoel/cranial lipomeningocoel. J Clin Neurosci. 2017 Nov;45:157-159.
- Shah A. Aneurysm Surgery: Technique and Technology. World Neurosurg. 2017 May;101:771-772.
- Shah A. The three-dimensional difference: Craniovertebral junction unveiled. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Jan-Mar;8(1):3-4.
- Bansal P, Lila A, Goroshi M, Jadhav S, Lomte N, Thakkar K, Goel A, Shah A, Sankhe S, Goel N, Jaguste N, Bandgar T, Shah N. Duration of post-operative hypocortisolism predicts sustained remission after pituitary surgery for Cushing’s disease. Endocr Connect. 2017 Nov;6(8):625-636.
- Goel A, Ranjan S, Shah A, Rai S, Gore S, Dharurkar P. Subtemporal “Interdural” Surgical Approach for “Giant” Facial Nerve Neurinomas. World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:e835-e841.
- Goel A, Jain S, Shah A, Rai S, Gore S, Dharurkar P. Pial Arteriovenous Fistula: A Brief Review and Report of 14 Surgically Treated Cases. World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:e873-e881.
- Goel A, Gore S, Shah A, Dharurkar P, Vutha R, Patil A. Atlantoaxial Fixation for Chiari 1 Formation in Pediatric Age-Group Patients: Report of Treatment in 33 Patients. World Neurosurg. 2018 Mar;111:e668-e677.
- Shah A, Kaswa A, Jain S, Goel A. Atlantoaxial instability associated with pan cervical vertebral fusion: Report on management of 4 cases. Neurol India. 2018 Jan-Feb;66(1):147-150.
- Shah AH, Dhar A, Elsanafiry MSM, Goel A. Chiari malformation: Has the dilemma ended? J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Oct-Dec;8(4):297-304.
- Goel A, Dharurkar P, Shah A, Gore S, More S, Ranjan S. Only spinal fixation as treatment of prolapsed cervical intervertebral disc in patients presenting with myelopathy. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Oct-Dec;8(4):305-310.
- Goel A, Jain S, Shah A. Radiological Evaluation of 510 Cases of Basilar Invagination with Evidence of Atlantoaxial Instability (Group A Basilar Invagination). World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:533-543.
- Goel A, Jain S, Shah A, Patil A, Vutha R, Ranjan S, More S. Atlantoaxial Fixation for Odontoid Fracture: Analysis of 124 Surgically Treated Cases. World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:558-567.
- Goel A, Kaswa A, Shah A, Rai S, Gore S, Dharurkar P. Extraspinal-Interdural Surgical Approach for C2 Neurinomas-Report of an Experience with 50 Cases. World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:575-582.
- Goel A, Prasad A, Shah A, More S. C1-2 and C2-3 Instability in the Presence of Hypoplastic Posterior Elements of C2 Vertebra: Report of 2 Cases. World Neurosurg. 2018 Feb;110:604-608.
- Shah A, Jain S, Kaswa A, Goel A. Immediate Postoperative Disappearance of Retro-Odontoid “Pseudotumor”. World Neurosurg. 2016 Jul;91:419-23.
- Goel A, Jankharia B, Shah A, Sathe P. Three-dimensional models: an emerging investigational revolution for craniovertebral junction surgery. J Neurosurg Spine. 2016 Dec;25(6):740-744.
- Shah A, Dhar A, Goel A. Migration of a lateral ventricular choroid plexus papilloma: An uncommon occurrence. Neurol India. 2016 Jul-Aug;64(4):817-8.
- Goel A, Shah A, Patni N, Ramdasi R. Immediate Postoperative Reversal of Disc Herniation Following Facetal Distraction-Fixation Surgery: Report of 4 Cases. World Neurosurg. 2016 Oct;94:339-344.
- Goel A, Nadkarni T, Shah A, Sathe P, Patil M. Radiologic Evaluation of Basilar Invagination Without Obvious Atlantoaxial Instability (Group B Basilar Invagination): Analysis Based on a Study of 75 Patients. World Neurosurg. 2016 Nov;95:375-382.
- Goel A, Sathe P, Shah A. Atlantoaxial Fixation for Basilar Invagination without Obvious Atlantoaxial Instability (Group B Basilar Invagination): Outcome Analysis of 63 Surgically Treated Cases. World Neurosurg. 2017 Mar;99:164-170.
- Goel A, Dhar A, Shah A. Multilevel Spinal Stabilization as a Treatment for Hirayama Disease: Report of an Experience with Five Cases. World Neurosurg. 2017 Mar;99:186-191.
- Shah A, Sathe P, Patil M, Goel A. Treatment of “idiopathic” syrinx by atlantoaxial fixation: Report of an experience with nine cases. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Jan-Mar;8(1):15-21
- Goel A, Kaswa A, Shah A. Role of Atlantoaxial and Subaxial Spinal Instability in Pathogenesis of Spinal “Degeneration”-Related Cervical Kyphosis. World Neurosurg. 2017 May;101:702-709.
- Shah A, Vutha R, Sankhe S, Goel A. Transventricular Migration of Neurocysticercosis. World Neurosurg. 2017 Sep;105:1043.e11-1043.e13.
- Goel A, Kaswa A, Shah A, Dhar A. Multilevel Spinal Segmental Fixation for Kyphotic Cervical Spinal Deformity in Pediatric Age Group-Report of Management in 2 Cases. World Neurosurg. 2017 Oct;106:661-665.
- Goel A, Jain S, Shah A. Management of a case of neglected atlantoaxial rotatory dislocation. Neurol India. 2017 Sep-Oct;65(5):1170-1173.
- Shah A, Jhawar SS, Goel A. Letter to the Editor: Optic radiations and anterior commissure. J Neurosurg 2015 Jul 31-3.
- Shah A, Goel A. Use of indocyanine green as an adjunct for insular glioma surgery.Asian Journal Neurosurg (Accepted awaiting publication)
- Shah A, Makiyah F, Goel A. Sylvian fissure epidermoid cyst presenting with intention tremor. Asian J Neurosurg 2015.
- Patni N, Shah A, Rangarajan V, Goel A. Successful management of a cervical fracture in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis by a posterior approach. J Craniovertbr Junction Spine. 2015; 6 (4): 227-229.
- Rai SK, Rangarajan V, Shah A, Goel A. Corpus callosal lipoma with extracranial extension as a scalp swelling. Neurol India. 2015 Sep-Oct;63(5):796-7
- Goel A, Nadkarni T, Shah A, Rai S, Rangarajan V, Kulkarni A. Is only stabilization an ideal treatment of OPLL? Report of early results with a preliminary experience with 14 cases. World Neurosurg. 2015 May 21.
- Goel A, Nadkarni T, Shah A, Ramdasi R, Patni N. Bifid Anterior and posterior arches of atlas: surgical implication and analysis of 70 cases. Neurosurgery 2015. April 7
- Shah A. Morphometric analysis of the cervical facets and the feasibility, safety and effectiveness of Goel inter-facet spacer distraction technique. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine 2014; 5 (1):9-14.
- Ramdasi R, Shah A. Goel’s Teflon sponge internal shunt for anterior spinal arachnoid cyst. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine 2014; 5 (2); 88-9.
- Shah A, Goel A Progression in size of an arteriovenous malformation, a case report. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery (Accepted awaiting publication)
- Kothari M, Goel A, Shah A, Fluidity of the body. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery (Accepted awaiting publication)
- Goel A, Shah A, Ramdasi R, Patni NOrbital cortical approach to lesions around the frontal horn of the lateral ventricle: Indications and surgical parameters. ActaNeurochirurgica
- Goel A, Shah A, Jadhav M, Nama SDistraction of facets with intraarticular spacers as treatment for lumbar canal stenosis: report on a preliminary experience with 21 cases. J Neurosurg Spine 2013; 19 (6):672-7.
- Shah A, Mahore A, Goel A.Bilateral vasculopexy of anomalous vertebral arteries causing cervicomedullary compression: case report and technical note. Eur Spine J. 2012; 21 (Supp 4):S505-8.
- Shah A, Jhawar S, Goel AAnalysis of the anatomy of the Papez circuit and adjoining limbic system by fiber dissection techniques.. J Clin Neurosciences 2012; 19(2):289-98.
- Muzumdar D, Deshpande A, Kumar R, Sharma A, Goel N, Dange N, Shah A, Goel A. Medulloblastoma in childhood – King Edward Memorial Hospital surgical experience and review: Comparative analysis of the case series of 365 patients. J PediatrNeurosci 2011;6:S78-85.
- Goel A, Shah A, Kothari M, Gaikwad S, Dhande PL. Comparative quantitative analysis of osseous anatomy of the craniovertebral junction of tiger, horse, deer and humans. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine 2011;2(1):32-7.
- Goel A, Shah A. Facetal distraction as a treatment for single and multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy J. Neurosurs Spine. June 2011
- Shah A, Redhu R, Nadkarni T, Goel A. Supratentorial glioblastoma multiforme with spinal metastasis. Journal of Craniovertebral Junction and Spine 2010; 1:22: 131 – 134.
- Rakesh R, Shah A. Jadhav M, Goel A. Spontaneous tension pneumocephalus in a case of subdural empyema. J Clin Neurosciences 2011; 18 (8):1123-4
- Goel A, Shah A. ‘Interdural’ oculomotorneurinoma: report of two surgically treated cases. ActaNeurochir (Wien). 2010; 152(10):1721-4.
- Goel A, Shah A.:Verticalatlantoaxial dislocation as a cause of failure of midline fixation.J ClinNeurosci.2010; 17(10):1345-6
- Goel A, Shah A. Atlantoaxial facet locking: treatment by facet manipulation and fixation. Experience in 14 casesJNeurosurg Spine.2011; 14 (1): 3-9
- Goal A, Shah A, Gupta S. Craniovertebral instability due to degenerative osteoarthritis of the atlantoaxial joints: analysis of management of 108 cases. J Neurosurg Spine. 2010; 12 (5):592-601
- Goel A, Figueredo A, Maheshwari S, Shah A. Atlantoaxial manual realignment in a patient with traumatic atlantoaxial joint disruption. J. ClinNeurosci. 2010; 17(5):672-3.
- Mahore A, Shah A, Nadkarni T, Goel A. Craniofrontonasal dysplasia associated with Chiari malformation. J NeurosurgPed. 2010; 5(4):375-9
- Goel A. Shah A “Lateral Supracerebellartranstentorial approach to middle fossa epidermoidtumor.”JClinNeurosci 2010; 17(3):372-3.
- Shah A, Goel A, Goel N. A case of cerebellopontine angle epidermoid tumor and brainstem squamous cell carcinoma presenting as collision tumor. ActaNeurochir (Wien) 2010; 152(6):1087-8.
- Goel A, Shah A. Unilateral atlantalfacetal hypertrophy. J ClinNeurosci 2010; 17(6): 806-8
- Shah A, Nadkarni T, Goel N, GoelA.Circumferentialcraniocervical extradural tuberculous granulations: a case report Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2010; 17(6):808-9.
- Shah A, Muzumdar D, Goel N, Goel A Fulminant fatal meningitis following partial resection of an endodermal cyst. ActaNeurochir (Wien) 2010; 152(4):729-30.
- Goel A, Shah A, Jhawar SS, GoelNK.Fluid-fluid level in pituitary tumors: analysis of management of 106 cases.J Neurosurg. 2010; 112(6):1341-6.
- Goel A, Shah A .‘Lateral’ atlantoaxial dislocation in craniovertebral region tuberculosis: Report of a case and analysis of treatmentActaNeurochirurgica. 2010; 152(4):709-12.
- Shah A, GoelAClivaldysgenesis associated with Chiari malformation and syringomyelia. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2010; 17(3):400-1.
- Goel A, Shah A.Unusual bone formation in the anterior rim of foramen magnum: cause, effect and treatment.Eur Spine J. 2009 Dec 24.
- Nadkarni T, Shah A, Kansal R, GoelA.Anintradural-extramedullary gas-forming spinal abscess in a patient with diabetes mellitus.J ClinNeurosci. 2009; 17(2):263-5
- Goel A, Shah A, Muzumdar D, Nadkarni T, Chagla A.Trigeminal neurinomas with extracranial extension: analysis of 28 surgically treated cases.J Neurosurg. 2010; 113(5);1079-84.
- Goel A, Shah A. Trigeminal neuralgia in the presence of ectatic basilar artery and basilar invagination: treatment by foramen magnum decompression J. Neurosurg 2009; 111(6);1220-2.
- Goel A, Shah A, RajanS.Vertical mobile and reducible atlantoaxial dislocation. Clinincal Article. J. Neurosurg Spine 2009 11 (1) 9 – 14.
- Goel A, Shah A. Reversal of longstanding musculoskeletal changes in basilar invagination after surgical decompression and stabilization J. Neurosurg Spine. 2009 10(3): 220-7.
- Goel A, Shah A. Atlantoaxial joint distraction as a treatment for basilar invagination: A report of an experience with 11 cases.Neurology India. April – June 2008; (56): 2: 144-150.
- Goel A, Shah A, Menon RK. Unilateral atlantal mass hypertrophy in acromegaly. Case ReportJournal of Neurosurgery: Spine. Sep. 2008; (9): 3: 277 – 280.
- Shah A, Goel A. Cushing’s disease presenting as intracerebral bleed. Neurology India. 2008 56(4): 490-1
- Menon RK, Goel A, Shah A, Goel N, Rajshekaran P. Primary intracranial myxoma of the parietal region. Illustrated case report.J Neurooncol. June 2008; (2): 157-60.
- Pujari V, Jimbo H, Dange N, Shah A, Singh S, Goel A.Fiber dissection of the visual pathways. Analysis of the relationship of optic radiations to lateral ventricle : A cadaveric study. Neurology India. April – June 2008; (56):2: 133-137.
- Nadkarni TD, Menon RK, Shah A, Goel A. Chudley McCullough Syndrome – A Case Report and review of literature. Child’s Nervous system. May 2008; 24 (5): 541 – 4.
- Menon RK, Shah A, Goel ABlood – Fluid Level in cortical venous thrombosis. Surgical Neurology. Jan 2009; 71 91):111-4.
- Goel A, Shah A, Pareikh S Teflon Sponge Shunt for recurrent arachnoid cyst. Neurology India. October-December 2007; 55:4.
- Menon RK, Muzumdar D, Shah A, Goel A. GlioblastomaMultiforme following cranial irradiation and chemotherapy for acute Lymphocytic Leukaemia – Report of 3 casesOriginal Paper. Paediatric Neurosurgery, 2007; 43: 369 – 374.
- Vishwanathan R, Shah A, Nagori LF, Gupta MK. Salmonella Typhi in breast abscess – A Case ReportBombay Hospital Journal. July 2003; 45; 3, 452-453.